The Wakandacon Cosplay Contest and Parade will be on Saturday, July 27 from 3:00PM-4:30PM
Those who want to participate in the contest must register in advance at the Wakandacon Welcome Booth. Registration will take place on Friday, at 3:00PM-8:00PM and Saturday, 7/27 at 10:00AM-12:30PM during Wakandacon at The Wakandacon Creatives Corner located in the South Lobby. When registering, please provide your full name and the name of your costume/character. (There is no online registration). All participants as well as attendees must adhere to the Costume/Cosplay Rules outlined below.
Wakandacon Cosplay Contest Rules
- Each contestant may only enter one costume per category into competition.
- Contestants must be non-professionals. Anyone who makes over $5,000 a year in cosplay contest prizes are ineligible to enter.
- Each contestant may enter as an individual or as a group (Keep in mind that there may not be enough prizes for each member of the group).
- Each contestant may only enter a handmade costume as opposed to a purchased or commissioned costume. Altered purchased costumes will be accepted, however, points may be deducted for unoriginality.
- No explosive or other similar special effects are allowed.
- No messy substances are allowed.
- Cosplay costumes must be self-contained. Every part of each contestant’s costume must leave with participant after the walk-on is completed.
- No nudity, and the semblance of nudity is not allowed. Please ensure that all costumes are properly secured at all times and are not prone to “wardrobe malfunctions,” or “indecent accidents.”
- Large elaborate costumes must be handled by the contestant and/or assistants the contestant brings to help. Wakandacon will not be able to provide assistants.
- For safety reasons, please wear footwear at all times. Skates and rollerblades are not allowed.
- All prop weapons must conform to the Wakandacon Weapons Policy, which is as follows: All weapons must be non-working and peace bonded. No functioning projectile weapons – including water pistols, silly-string guns, and ping-pong pistols. Bladed weapons must be cased or sheathed at all times. Swords, knives, or any other metal objects with an edge are prohibited. No clowning around or showing off in the common areas. Any weapon used in an offensive manner will be confiscated. Anyone who violates this rule may be disqualified from the competition and may be asked to leave the premises. We expect you to use good judgment; with your help, we can continue to allow such items.
- You may be asked to check items with wheels; this includes skateboards, scooters, bicycles, etc. An exception will be made for wheelchairs and other ADA regulated modes of transportation.
- Horseplay, mock or play-fighting is not allowed in the hallways or in the building.
- Large costumes must be no more than 2 feet in all directions, due to the blocking of traffic flow and other hazards.
- No profanity, political, or religious statements or signage are allowed during the contest.
- Each contestant or group is only allowed one walk-on. 1 minute allowance for walk-ons, character scene reenactments, and costume presentation. You can take less time if you don’t need the full minute, and there’s a few seconds leeway if you run over.
- Contestants will be judged according to their costume’s resemblance to the character it is based on, representation of their costume, and craftsmanship skill.
We reserve the right to ban or remove any attendees who do not follow the above rules or are creating a disturbance or hazard for other attendees. Please be courteous and respectful to others, and have fun!
Photography/Videography will be permitted. Wakandacon will have a designated photographers and videography team on site. By entering the contest you are permitting your image, likeness, and name to be used in Wakandacon promotional.
There are two cosplay categories, one children’s category, and one fashion category:
Any contestant who has never entered or won an award in any costume or cosplay competition.
Any contestant who has won or entered more than two awards in any costume, cosplay, or convention competition.
Open to any attendee dressed in Afro-Futuristic Fashion.
Any contestant under the age of 12 accompanied by an adult and has or has not entered in any costume or cosplay competition.
Silent judging takes place on Saturday, 7/27 from 12:30PM-2:00PM in S105BC (Video Game Hall).
Judges will tally scores at 2:00PM-3:00PM.
10 contestants will be allowed entry per category. The top 3 contestants will be permitted to walk on during the Wakandacon Cosplay Contest at 3:00PM.
Will follow the Cosplay Contest from 4:00PM-4:30PM.
Cosplay Contest Awards
Cosplay Costume contestants will be competing for and awarded:
Grand Prize Winner will receive a prize package up to $180 in value.
First Runner Up Winner will receive a prize package up to $90 in value.
Second Runner Up will receive a prize package up to $30 in value.
Grand Prize Winner will receive a prize package up to $300 in value.
First Runner Up will receive a prize package up to $150 in value.
Second Runner Up will receive a prize package up to $50 in value.
Grand Prize Winner will receive a prize package up to $120 in value.
First Runner Up will receive a prize package up to $60 in value.
Second Runner Up will receive a prize package up to $20 in value.
Winners will receive a prize package up to $25 in value.
Portion of prize packages generously sponsored by The Second City and Wakandacon.